“Look at who decided to stay in a hotel” Naya said to the two others in their company. All four sat outside in Kenny’s back Garden, soaking in the afternoon’s sun. The weather was bright and sunny- a great day to enjoy staying outdoors. They listened to music from FM while Jeremy served them iced lemonade with a taste of mint. “We can’t stop” by Miley Cyrus came on the radio and Naya increased the volume standing in front of Kenny twerking until the end of the song, cheered on by the girls. Then she continued where she left off “Kenny just told me he will be staying in a hotel”. Feeling tensed from Naya teasing him with her dancing and then not giving up on him staying in a hotel, he asked for rum and added two shots into his lemonade, he rushed it down quickly. Naya still went on “I can’t figure out why you are not saying anything about you deciding to stay in a hotel. Are you not going to change your mind, you don’t just have a room, I come with that room now, isn't that enticing enough to change your mind”
“Everything is a joke to you isn't it? Including your own body. I am staying in a hotel to avoid you” Kenny said
“Avoid me, why? I thought you liked it? I told you I did it all for you. So you can love me more” Naya reacted.
“That is creepy Naya, you did it for you, so you can love yourself more”
“Not true Kenny it’s all for you”
“How do you know what I like when you never asked me? You simply just assumed?”
“No Kenny I observed you, I noticed what tickles your fancy. The ladies we met in Figora, the way you looked at them, the way you hugged them...” then he cut her off
“That's preposterous Naya, each and every one of them I introduced to you as my friend, except the ones you walked out on. How did you get your twisted ideas to play on your mind?”
“It’s done already Kenny, what do you suggest I do now?”
He looked at her and sighed then he said “I need time to think about this”.
You must know what you want; even right now you do know. Tell me now Kenny”
“Enough woman”
It was an awkward experience for Leila and Nima sitting there quietly trying to mind their business, the ambience changed swiftly from relaxed to tense. They had thought Kenny digested Naya’s frivolities rather well. “An absolutely late reaction” Leila thought. They all expected Kenny to arrive blazing with anger and spitting fire at Naya but he acted calmly. Naya’s lack of remorse and insensitivity about how Kenny felt kind of shocked them as well; she grabbed the bottle of rum in front of Kenny, poured into her glass and gulped it all in one, whining her waist slowly dancing to “No letting go” by Wayne wonder. “unbelievable“ Kenny thought , got up and announced that he would be leaving for the clinic to see how Dave was faring but Naya paid him no attention until he left.
“Naya, what do you think you are doing?” Nima asked after Kenny left.
“What do you mean, Nima?”
“I know you are not that naive, you totally just ignored Kenny, and I hope you know what you are doing”
“How is it your business? I have had enough of you, miss perfect. Somewhere in your mind you think you are a better match for him, but he is already taken.
I am not going to get mad, i will take it that the Rum has clouded your reasoning."
Two and a half weeks into their holiday, Naya had recovered and somehow the ladies had made up from all the bickering. Naya still couldn’t understand Kenny’s annoyance with her, after all whatever she did, she did it for him. While in her village going about her daily routine, liposuction and breasts implants were things she watched on TV or read about and she felt fine with herself. Then he came into her life and she felt she had to measure up to all the beautiful exotic women he was exposed to, hence her decision for cosmetic surgery.
Naya had been so sure about Kenny’s feelings for her but traces of doubt grew more every time he avoided her causing her heart to ache. The truth is Kenny already loved Naya despite what she had done, his heart never faltered from her. The confused, spoilt little girl most people saw was different from what he saw. He saw an innocent young lady trying really hard to please him, even though she was totally different from most women he dated she had all the qualities he imagined he wanted from the woman he eventually married, she had a touch of reality, away from all the glitz and glamour in the life of a royal. He was certain that despite her changed outward appearance which he may kind of like, she was still the same inside. His greatest challenge would be convincing his parents to accept Naya.
Kenny answered the telephone in his room and was told a lady was coming up to his room. He stood in front of his room waiting, he suspected it would be Naya and there she was, she wasn’t her usually jokey, teasing self, she looked aggrieved “I would like to return to Ndovlo tomorrow”
“Why” Kenny asked
“We might not be rich, high and mighty like you but we still have our dignity” Naya said while Kenny listened attentively, he saw the look on her face and his heart sank, he reached out to her but she stepped back. Naya spoke with tears raining down her cheeks. “It’s ok if we end this .Thanks for all the good times you have given me, I would pay you back everything in the nearest future” confused Kenny asked “what’s going on”. “Ask your parents” she answered and left the hotel. Kenny didn’t follow her, he had a rush of different emotions,then he reached for his phone and called home.
There wasn’t any Gossip on the tabloids but somehow Kenny’s folks had heard and without contacting Kenny they informed Naya’s folks through an emissary stating that Prince Kenny couldn’t go on with the marriage because Naya had inflicted irreparable damage on her body, stating that Naya could no longer be afforded the privilege of becoming the future queen of Ndovlo. That Naya had displayed irresponsible behaviour at her first taste of freedom and cannot pass as a role model for the Women of Ndovlo, they went further to say that their daughter would be returned to them immediately and all ties to the royal cut off. Naya's folks would have felt insulted, he thought.
The next morning he went over to the house early before the girls left for the airport spending only three weeks of their month’s holiday. He pulled Naya to privacy knowing full well the leech was Jeremy, he knew his parents put him there to spy on him and if it wasn’t that he was so good at his job he would have fired him.
“Naya, to be honest I wasn’t aware of what my parents did. It wasn’t my decision” Naya broke down crying, she was in love with Kenny and she was experiencing her first heart break the pain was too overwhelming for her. She hugged him and said “I have to go” but he held her back “you don’t have to go” she said again “I have to go, my parents want me back”
“It should be about what we want not what our parents want” Kenny replied her.
“This relationship has been over since you got here, it’s obvious what you want Kenny” she released herself and started to walk away, he wanted so badly to hold her back but he held himself back then he yelled at her “I should be the one walking away not you, you caused all this.
On their way to the airport Naya cried inconsolably, she loved Kenny; she didn't think she could go a day without him, he said it was what they wanted and not what their parents wanted so he would take her back if she wanted him back. Mike the chauffeur couldn't handle her crying anymore so he parked the car and went to have a chat with her. “You love Kenny?” she nodded her head “what is the chance you will see him again if you leave?” she shook her head and said "never". You want Kenny back don’t you?” she nodded her head. “Then you should go back to him” she nodded her head again. Mike got back into the car and took a U-turn back to the house. They met Kenny slumped on the chair looking devastated. He gathered himself when he saw Naya, she walked up to him “If you are, I am willing to make this work. I’m so sorry for what one stupid decision has led to. I might be naive but I sure know what I want. If I miss you I would end up with one of those boys in the village, and they won’t let be me the way you let me. After experiencing all this, how do you think I would cope? Not that I love you because of what you have, that’s just an added advantage, It is who you are: remarkable, kind, and generous man. Kenny smiled at her faltering words he pulled her to himself and they kissed and made up. “I can imagine everyone’s face when they finally recognise you when we get back, I bet you that even your mom wouldn't recognise you” he laughed out but she didn't then he said “don’t worry I will protect you my beautiful, sexy ......” singing her praise as he used to and she acknowledged by turning round showing off her assets for him.
No comments:
Post a Comment