Friday, 13 February 2015

Valentine Blues by Zara Iko

Image result for valentines blue

Kamsi’s first valentine on her own in the big city looked promising. She and Nedu started dating in their final year in the university. They recently just graduated and as luck would have it got Jobs in the same city. Her parents, especially, insisted she got a separate apartment from Nedu’s; they didn’t want them living together until maybe they got married.
 Before he came over to hers to get her out that evening Nedu had been doing everything right, sending her romantic messages throughout the day. His last text got her all fired up it read “you are like the gin in the glass of cranberry juice I am holding right now, except in your case I don’t have to drink you to get drunk, all I need is a vision of you. See you in 20 x”.
Fully charged with the expectation of a great evening with her love, Kamsi was ready and waiting when Nedu arrived, she opened the door excitedly. Expecting to see a bunch of flowers, candy and maybe a present. She squeezed her brows seeing he came empty handed. He tried to hug her, but she stepped back. “No flowers, no candy, nothing Nedu!” Kamsi exclaimed
“Well, you see everyone knows that on Valentine’s Day, flowers and candy are sold out. I tried to get, but every single shop I went to had run out” Nedu replied.
“What happened to preparing before today? You could have managed a card at least?”Kamsi demanded
Nedu scratched his head and asked her “Where is my own gift”. She walked to the fridge, took out a cupcake and gave it to him. “Happy valentine’s day,” kamsi said.
“One cupcake” he laughed, pulled off the paper from the cake and pushed  the whole thing into his mouth. “Thanks darling, he forced out munching his cupcake, Shall we?” he said,   leading her out of the door.
“He couldn’t even offer me a bite” Kamsi mumbled with disappointment, rolling her eyes as he followed her lead.
On their way, taxi’s passed by, but Nedu didn’t look like he was interested in stopping one. Kamsi expected him to call a taxi, especially because she had heels on, but he just kept on walking and talking, so she asked “I know you don’t have a car yet, but we don’t have to trek to where ever we are going. What about stopping a taxi?”
 “Don’t you think it would be more romantic if we walked?!”Nedu replied her. Kamsi looked at him fuming, but she managed to get her temper trapped and walked by Nedu’s side finding support resting her arm on his shoulders and his arm around her waist. Somewhere along the twenty-five minutes’ walk to the city center Kamsi’s mood had lightened up and she was feeling excited once again. She imagined he had some wonderful surprises planned out by the time they got to where ever he was taking her to, else he wouldn't have dared the horrible start to the evening.

After the painful walk, they arrived at the city center. It was packed with some lovely places to visit, mouth watering Valentine’s Day deals were on, one of the most popular deals was for free champagne and cake for any couple who got engaged in Tapa restaurant, the poshest in the city center. Kamsi was now very anxious for the unfolding of  Nedu's  grand planned evening to salvage the catastrophic valentines she was already having. She even imagined them being up in Tapa clicking their champagne glasses  celebrating their engagement, she had a strong conviction he was about to propose to her hence the front, excitement rushed through her that she grabbed and pulled Nedu closer, giving him a long spitty kiss on his cheek; He giggled with excitement thinking she was finally enjoying the evening.

The city center was buzzing with couples of different ages, even some grandpa’s had brought their old ladies out for a good time and managed to get flowers for them, yet her Man who had filled her ears with some sweet jargons couldn’t manage a stem of flower. “I think most people had flowers and candy grown in their backyards this year, even granny there” pointing at an older couple close by “could manage one” kamsi queried Nedu.
 “Ah, what’s more important than this- me, you holding hands on this romantic walk, my heart beat right now is so powerful you can feel it on my palm and it's because of you,” Nedu said trying to sweet talk her.
 “You are so full of shit man. We’ve been walking for an hour now, I have got heels on, and it hurts. I pulled this look for you and you’ve decided to punish me for it” kamsi was starting to feel frustrated.
 “Haven’t I been singing your praise all evening, you look out of this world?” Nedu said.
“I haven’t been listening to your balderdash for a while now; it worked on the phone, that’s why I got dressed this up. It can’t work now, not while my feet are on fire. I am burning with anger right now,Nedu. If you speak another lie I will slap your lips out of your face. ” Kamsi shot at him.
“I know you don’t mean that. You look too good to be angry today. Don’t worry the day will get better” Nedu tried to calm her down
When? I am worn out from trekking around town. All I want is my bed Nedu, my feet are sore”
That will be an awesome end to this valentine day celebration me and you wrapped up underneath your sheets” Nedu said and winked at her.
“You know what, I have had it with you”, kamsi said. She bent to take off her heels and launched them at Nedu in rage, but he dodged them and ran off. She chased after him but couldn’t keep up, so she stopped. By then her figure hugging, short red dress had rolled on up exposing her black panty, quickly she adjusted and started to walk off. She left home without money; her clutch bag was empty she trusted that Nedu would take care of her. She thought, well, I walked here, so I can walk back, it would even be better now that I don’t have my shoes on and that annoying Nedu, she consoled herself. From nowhere someone’s hands circled her waist from behind, firming his grip on her, he put his lips to her ear and whispered “I am having so much fun baby”
 “You are so annoying, release me and see if I won’t kill you” she yelled. “Relax and enjoy yourself,” Nedu asked of her.
 “We’ve walked past several nice restaurants and other good hang out spots, but we’ve past every single one of them twice and still not decided where we would end up. I would be enjoying myself better if we had been sitting in there” pointing at Tapa “like one of the normal couples in there eating a delicious meal, champagne to wash it down and maybe a ring pop’s up magically. That would have been very enjoyable. Look at me; I am dressed for that kind of enjoyment. Not this.”
He released her, walked in front of her looking very serious. He starred at her for some brief seconds, then he burst out laughing really hard.
Kamsi continued “You did the same thing for my birthday, I can’t believe I fell for your shenanigans again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.” She said, then slammed her shoes on the floor and walked past him. He tried to pull her back, but she released her hand from his hold and used both her hands to push him by his chest farther away from her. Then she started to run towards her house. Nedu didn’t even notice they had caused a stir, a small crowd had gathered around them to watch the lovers quarrel. Some people from the crowd yelled out “go get her dude, you are in the wrong, go get her. Nodding his head in affirmation, he picked up her shoes and ran after her. Catching up with her wasn’t so difficult; soon he was jogging behind her and talking to her “Will you stop kamsi. I brought your shoes for you, ” she turned back again and pushed him by his chest away from her and continued jogging. “You know it’s the silly things I do that makes you love me” she groaned angrily bent to pick up a stone and threw it at him but he dodged it. All the while she was running. “I bet you, this will be your most memorable Valentine’s Day,” he continued poking at her. She bent down, packed sand in her hand and threw back at him, but he dodged and continued chasing after her. “Someday our grandchildren will hear how I chased after their grandma overcoming all obstacles thrown at me- shoe, stone, sand and whatever you find next to throw at me”. But then she stopped and yelled “go away. I really hate you now” and pushed his chest again and continued running. He didn’t relent, he continued chasing after her “it is so sexy watching you run from behind Kamsi”

 “You are so frustrating, get lost forever Nedu”.


Eventually, She got to her house stopped by her front door and tried opening the door before Nedu got to her so she could slam the door right in his face, but she ended up fiddling with the keys until he caught up, he placed his hand on her hand on the door handle, she was breathing heavily because of the running “let me help you” he said  but she kept fighting him off. Calm down Kamsi, calm down! I’m sorry you didn’t see the humour in this I promise you next year would be much better, please. Still really upset yet accepting his apology she stopped fighting him off and let him open the door, and then they went in together.

No comments:

Post a Comment